Highlights from our white paper, Part 2
By Vicky Mossman, VP of Partner Development at Scitent
As we discussed in our previous post, creating relevant, engaging and successful eLearning content that is also certified or credentialed can be an arduous process. Scitent has been doing this for twenty years. To help you get the most out of your eLearning content, we wanted to share these top five lessons learned:
- Conduct a needs assessment – Identify the gap your educational activity will fill in the industry. This can be anything from a knowledge gap to new guidelines that need to be addressed.
- Create learning objectives – Detailed learning goals and objectives are like the roadmap for online content. Once these are identified, your assessments, subject matter and eLearning tools can be tailored to support the goals and objectives.
- Align goals internally – If your organization isn’t aligned at all levels about what it wants to achieve with its certified eLearning content, or if members of your staff are siloed, it can be challenging to move forward. Get buy-in early and update your key staff members often to keep the project on track.
- Select an experienced, accredited provider and author – Before creating content, find an accredited provider who is recognized for quality work and a high level of experience in the industry.
- Start with the end in mind – There will be some additional paperwork and reviews required for accrediting or certifying a course, so map out the to-do’s and timeline up front to keep things moving forward.
Lastly, we would be remiss not to mention this last bit of advice: Be honest about your available bandwidth for your project. Not every organization has the infrastructure, expertise and staff to successfully create certified or credentialed eLearning content. Because it requires many extra steps, you must take a critical look at your staffing, expertise and knowledge before tackling this type of project in-house.
Ask yourself (and answer honestly!): Would you be better off hiring an outside technology provider?
To learn more – including effective eLearning tactics and a real-world success story – download Scitent’s white paper, “The Art & Value of Building Credentialed or Certified eLearning Programs.”
I also provided additional insight on certified content in a webinar with the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) on March 30. You can access a recorded version of that webinar here.