Highlights from our white paper, Part 1
By Deb McMahon, PhD, President and CEO of Scitent
Credentialed or certified eLearning programs can offer a real strategic advantage for your organization, providing a high-value experience for your learners and boosting brand reputation for you – among other benefits. But, where should you start?
If you’re not prepared, this can be a complex and overwhelming process. In this first post of two highlighting our white paper, “The Art & Value of Building Credentialed or Certified eLearning Programs,” we’ll share a quick list of key challenges you’ll face, as well as some key terms you need to be familiar with before proceeding. Next time, we’ll outline the keys to success and offer some best practice tips to keep in mind along the way.
Challenges you may face:
- Becoming familiar with the accrediting bodies and their unique requirements
- Implementing the technical tools needed to present and distribute online content in adherence to industry standards, including online certification
- Having a clear understanding of the value proposition so your learners are motivated to take your course
- Streamlining your development process to establish a true business with a revenue-generating eLearning program
Key terms you need to know:
- Credentialing: typically offered by a third party as proof or verification of an individual’s qualification or competence in a broad area, such as association management
- Certification: a more formal process that leads to a professional qualification or competence in a specific topic
- Accreditation: used in healthcare by an independent professional organization or nongovernmental agency to recognize achievement of predetermined standards
- Continuing Medical Education (CME): ongoing learning activities required for physicians and other healthcare practitioners throughout their career
- Maintenance of Certification (MOC): a four-part continuing education process for physicians (primarily those certified before 1990) to ensure they are keeping up with learning
So, now that you have some of the basics, what are the best ways to tackle the certification or credentialing process? Scitent has a wealth of experience in this area. In our next post, we’ll share some of our lessons learned, as well as best practices.
To learn more, download our whitepaper, “The Art & Value of Building Credentialed or Certified eLearning Programs.”
Ready to move forward? Contact us today!